Monday, November 17, 2008

The Magical Music of Disney & Inaugural Gigs

Saturday night was my first post-surgery subscription concert. It was a pops concert-The Magical Music of Disney. Basically, this was a concert of medleys from Disney movies (my favorite was the medley from Mary Poppins, as it brought back fond childhood memories). James Bagwell, music director of Light Opera Oklahoma was on the podium. This concert also involved coordination with slides of scenes from the films (some of which were conceptual drawings from the films' development), and Jimmy did a great job staying on top of the visuals. What I liked most was the number of children in the audience-there were kids sitting in the front row! Get 'em while they're young, and hopefully, they will become symphony lovers for life.

One of my fellow choristers at Trinity made the point of telling me how much she enjoyed the concert the next morning at church.

I recently received an e-mail message from the Secretary-Treasurer of Local 94, AFM. She's part of a trio that played for one of the inaugural balls for President Bill Clinton's second inauguration in 1997. She thought that since I had been an active volunteer with the campaign, I might know of a contact for one of the inaugural balls-Tammy's trio is looking for a gig. I had to tell her I had no earthly idea who to contact, but gave her the name of a local coordinator who's involved in Eco Fest (formerly Reggae Fest), so perhaps Amie knows something that I don't. Saturday night after the concert I related to Local 94 President (and Tulsa Symphony Principal Horn) Bruce the e-mail exchange. Bruce then put in a plug for his brass quintet. I'm flattered that people think I have these inside connections, but I have no earthly idea who is organizing all the inaugural balls in January!

I just wish I could be there for that historic occasion . . .

No comments: