Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Fall -- and the start of a new season

Well, fall is upon us! Tulsa Public Schools started yesterday . . . and the weather is lovely and fall-like.

Things are kicking back into gear at Trinity. Casey's already making a huge difference -- the atmosphere in choir rehearsals is quite relaxed, and it seems people are actually having fun. I'm starting to see folks drift back who had probably been alienated by Stephen Tappe. I even saw Bonnie Duncan in church Sunday, who I strongly suspect had been run off by Tappe. Wonder if she'll be coming back to the choir? I'd love to have her back -- not to mention that we could use another soprano! I'm sure Bonnie's heard the news about Casey, and knows Casey's reputation at both Trinity and Boston Avenue -- so she undoubtedly knows that Casey isn't into alienating or running of choristers. I know Casey would love to have her back.

Everyone -- everyone -- I've spoken to is thrilled that Casey got the nod. Bruce Schultz (the Philharmonic's principal hornist) even commented to me that Trinity did the right thing in choosing Casey: "Casey's truly a good person."

I agree. Casey has remarkable musical talents (both organ and choral conducting), spiritual/liturgical gifts, and the people skills needed to relate to the diverse constituency that is Trinity Parish. Casey's lately been treating us to organ improvisations for the postlude, which brings back fond memories of Tom Matthews letting loose on the organ.

Suffice it to say, I look forward to choir practice these days!


No comments: