Monday, December 29, 2008

Happy Christmastide

The Feast of the Nativity of our Lord has come and gone. It's still Christmas, and will be, until January 6, which is the Feast of the Epiphany.

It's been a quiet break period in Casa Mattes. The Tulsa Symphony Orchestra office is closed until January 5, so I've got quiet time at home for the next week.

I really haven't done much of anything-just lounging around home, and having a lot of cuddle time with my cat. Phoebe is very happy! I've been spending a lot of time on Facebook, and fighting boredom.

I have seen one move, Doubt, which I recommend highly. Strong performances by two well-established actors, Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman, as well as Amy Adams and Viola Davis, who display their considerable dramatic skills. See my mini-review on Facebook. Anyone reading this post will get to help me decide which movie to take in at the end of this post. Keep reading!

Yesterday I took in the Ansel Adams exhibit at Gilcrease Museum. The photography (all black and white) was nothing short of incredible. The exhibit included a lot of information about Adams' formative years in San Francisco, his musical background (at one point he was pursuing a career as a concert pianist), his friendship with Georgia O'Keefe, and his involvement with the Sierra Club (Adams was an environmentalist long before it was fashionable to be one). If any Tulsan is reading this and hasn't yet seen the exhibit, get yourself over to Gilcrease pronto. The exhibit closes January 4.

Tomorrow a group of us from the Trinity Choir are going to sing for Mary Matthews at St. Simeon's. Mary is convelsecing following a hip replacement after she broke her hip on November 30. I hope we get a good turnout. I know it's very hard for Mary not only to be in the health care center, but to be away from her beloved Trinity choir at this time.

Now, as promised: Here are some movies I'm considering for next Friday. Post a comment as to which one you think I should see next weekend:

*Milk
*Valkyrie
*Slumdog Millionaire
*A Christmas Tale (at Circle Cinema, Tulsa's indie house)

No comments: