Monday, December 15, 2008

An Ice Day at Home and Facebook

Thanks to sleet overnight, the Tulsa Symphony Orchestra office was closed today. So, I sat home in my bathrobe today, doing not much of anything. I don't apologize-with three Nutcracker performances and two church services to play over the weekend I felt I deserved a day of "down time."

Things don't look any better, weather-wise, tomorrow. Tulsa Public Schools, and most of the surrounding districts, including Broken Arrow, have already called classes for tomorrow. I just took a look at the radar on NewsOn6, and as of 9:10 pm the radar is showing light snow tracking north of Tulsa. We'll see what transpires overnight . . .

The conversation with Mother did not go well last night. I never had to tell Mother I would rather not come up for Christmas, given the circumstances. Once I told her what the cost of the cheapest air fare was, she realized she couldn't afford it, either. She didn't take it at all well. She alternated between crying and yelling at me. She's completely oblivious to the fact that her behavior only serves to drive people away. She said she'd just sit at home and mope on Christmas Day, then told me I should try to get together with friends on Christmas (while she makes absolutely no effort to try and get together with friends of her own, of course). Need I say that this is all my fault-if I wasn't such a spendthrift good-for-nothing who blows my paycheck at Whole Foods and eating out "all the time" (her words) I would be absolutely flush with money.

There's no reasoning with Mother.

John suggested Mother take a look at her local Consumer Credit Counseling and see folks who are in danger of losing their homes, of having their cars repossessed. Perhaps Mother can visit Iron Gate Ministry and meet some of the guests-many employed, many families-who have absolutely nothing.

Well, I took the Facebook plunge today. We'll see what comes of it. Think I'll find new friends? Here's my Facebook profile.

Back to Keith Olbermann now!

No comments: